Thursday, December 18, 2008

Lay Away

So I'm watching Nightline and ready to settle into some pedantic foreign policy story and what do they have...a segment that "layaway" is back. Yes the 1970s opposite of urban Rent-a-Center for chain stores. You forget how it works? You put downpayments on items that the store holds for you until you actually pay for them in full. If this isn't the dumbest thing I heard, then Neil Diamond must be the head of a popular heavy metal group.

Of course, the whole problem is we spend too much. Why? Because we want too much. Why? Because we watch too many movies, TV shows, advertisements, celebrity magazines, online sites, songs, radio programs, books, etc. that depict life at unrealistic levels of wealth. Then you go to your job and wonder why don't I have those things? When I was 15, I thought I'd have a billion dollars by now. When I was in my twenties, I thought a million was in my grasp by my mid-thirties. Now in my forties, I don't think I'll ever get there -- although I feel that I still have a good chance to leave such wealth to my children. Wait, that's only if I up my insurance benefit to seven figures...

2 comments:

  1. I'm deeply saddened by your comments regarding "Lay-Aways". I represent the Lay-Away Association of America having chapters in all the majors cities and feel compelled to comment on your recent unfortunate statements concerning Lay-Aways.

    To arbitrarily put down lay-aways as some "stupid" activity is unfair and demeaning. We, in our association are proud of the contribution we make in todays faultering economy. Our members take pride in going to a Big Box store and telling the sales clerk "I'll take this Coffee Maker on Lay-Away". You can't imagine the sense of pride that the consumer has knowing that in 10 short months after paying $3.00 a month she can come in and pick up her Coffee Maker secure in the knowledge that she owns it free and clear. That's the kind of pride that you upper echelon types want to take away from the people who make this country what it is today. To wipe that smile off their face and attack their pride is nothing short of criminal.

    This blog normally would have slipped through the cracks of our association but for one of our deligent members spotting it and reporting it to me personally it would have gone unnoticed and unaddressed.

    Billthewriter, or whatever your name is, I would hope in the future you would have more respect for us/we "Lay-Awayers" as we like to call ourselves. As you know, we are in economic hard times and any negativity towards our economy and its consumers can cause devestating results.

    In the future,I beg of you to choose your words wisely.


    Yours,

    Aldridge P. Worthington Jr.II
    President-CEO
    Lay-Away Association of America

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mr. Worthington,

    I am deeply sorry for having offended the Lay Away industry. Upon reading the passion behind your comments you have convinced me that Lay Away is indeed a viable alternative to owning an item that a buyer wouldn't otherwise afford. To ridicule this process - and imply that it's substandard to all others - is shortsighted and uninformed.

    In fact, I have a suggestion that might help your Association: buy some spell checking software on Lay Away. For $2 per month, you will eventually own a program capable of correcting faltering (not faultering) or diligent (not deligent). Clearly, your current free spell check method is under performing. Such missteps besmirch the solid reputation your organization has developed over the past 30 years. Of course, you have nine months of misspelled letters until you get to own such software.

    I know, you're thinking how annoying it can be waiting for an item as you send in your payments while the retailer takes no risk and actually can screw you out of the purchase if it seeks bankruptcy protection in the meantime. To paraphrase an old saying, Oh, Lay Away, you're so annoying, let me send in that next payment...

    But take comfort that in just nine short months you will be able to tell the difference between "exception" and "acception" or "forbearance" and "forebearance." This reminds me of a joke about a nun and a hamster, but I digress...

    I wish you all the best in continuously improving your corresponding pursuits.

    By the way, I really love your elitist name.

    Kind regards,

    BilltheWriter
    aka
    Pendrey Huffleymeyer Schwinnleton

    ReplyDelete